for a Child Blessing
be sure to adapt to the people and situation
you are working with!
Return to Chapter Three --
- Invoke Watchers and Deities as
- Statements on the nature and
life from respected elders; could include brief readings of relevant story, song
- Question the parent(s) as to
desire for the childâ€™s growth and
the childâ€™s sponsors (people who will
the event of parental incapacity or death, and who will aid the
parents in the religious education of the child.)
- Ascertain the names (public and secret) by which the child is
to be known.
In preparation for the introduction of the child to the
and cense the child (taking care to use materials which
will not irritate the childâ€™s skin or lungs).
- The parent(s) and sponsor(s)
child make formal commitments
to the care and education of the child.
- Introduce the child by name (public and secret) to the Gods and Guardians.
- Ask the
Gods and Guardians to protect and guide the child.
- Present the child to all present as
infant member of the community.
and presentation of small gifts
from the community to the parents in
trust for the child, as token of the communityâ€™s acceptance
their newest member.
- Thank and dismiss Deities and
space to normal use.